Friday 18 December 2009

'Maid in Hull'


For a maritime brief for local whaling industry exhibition at local art gallery... idea that the crew on board would be slowly going mad as they are out at sea for so long... my initial idea was to create a log book with fantasy elements transforming out of them... a mermaid, whale, unicorn etc. This switched to a mermaid with the text included in itself instead... "Where has my mind gone? I hear the mermaids singing each to each... I do not think that they will sing to me"...from a poem by T. S. Elliot. I chose papercut which I think has kept a classy look to it, though I did have to cut any bits out that had blood from my fingers on it!! Just need to find some driftwood or something to display it upon before they come to chose the work they will display next year. Overall, pretty chuffed with it. Here's a few different stages of it's development.


Initial sketch
About day 3...
Day 4...
Day 5...
No more scales :D :D

The finished thing :)

'Maid in Hull'
(Can't take credit for this corny title... cheers Mark!!)






No comments:

Post a Comment